Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

Today was Earth Day ~ what does that mean to me? Well, I am not big into the whole "Mother Earth" scene, but I do believe in protecting and preserving the Earth; being a good steward of what God has so graciously blessed us with.
So, how do I go about being "green" in my everyday life?
Well, Bird wears cloth diapers, so that cuts down on the hundreds of diapers that would end up in the landfill (not to mention how many years it takes for each of those diapers to breakdown)
Here is Bird styling in an adorable turtle prefold diaper that was made especially for him.


I am also hanging our clothes out on a line to dry and not using the dryer ~ you might not think it is much, but every little bit helps! :o)
I am searching out (and making my own as well!) earth-friendly cleaners...and as a bonus not only are they earth-friendly, but they are child-friendly too. I won't have to worry about horrid things happening to the boys if they get into these cleaners.
We also recycle! The boys are really good about recycling as well. Every Friday our recycling gets picked up. I feel a swell of pride when I have a full recycling bin to be picked up and a trash can that is not full waiting to be picked up.
The boys and I also walk everywhere. Weston takes my vehicle to work (mine is much more fuel efficient) so the boys and I walk to the library, post office and any place else we want to go around our little town.
These are a few ways that we are making a difference and being good stewards of the earth. I am so proud that the boys see what we are doing and they follow our footsteps. Bean has even become quite the little cloth diapering advocate ~ talking about how we don't throw away our diapers, we reuse them. It is nice to know that our good stewardship is having a positive impact on our future generation, our children.

1 comments:

Andrea

Yea for the "green" Harness family! You guys are definitely showing that you can be a busy family and still be able to take the time to do the little things that matter to help take care of our environment. =)